Bob Bynum’s Match Point Tennis (BBMPT) and the Wayne Indoor Tennis Club would like to thank you for the opportunity to coach your player participating in this seasons United States Tennis Association’s Junior Team Tennis Northern League! Junior Team Tennis provides a positive experience for junior players through a team format with organized matches, practices, and coaching. There are some exciting changes this year to the Northern League so please review the information below and contact BBMPT Junior Team Tennis Coordinator Bob Bynum with any questions.
Bob Bynum email@example.com 973-477-3368
USTA EASTERN/NEW JERSEY REGION JUNIOR TEAM TENNIS – NORTHERN LEAGUE
The Northern League JTT program gives junior players the opportunity to play competitive tennis and prepare for more advanced competition; learn to play the game as it should be played; practice good sportsmanship and fair play; and provide players the opportunity to practice what they learn in their lesson programs in a social but competitive environment.
NATIONAL TENNIS RATING PROGRAM (NTRP)
This season the Northern League will utilize the USTA’s NATIONAL TENNIS RATING PROGRAM, or NTRP, to provide ratings for each player participating in the League. These ratings will help give players an idea of where they stand competitively; allow coaches/captains to provide more competitive matches for players; and provide a guide for players to identify their needs to progress to their desired level of play.
Please note: players having played any competitive matches within the past 18 months (JTT, USTA tournaments, etc.) will already have a rating which can be seen when players register for their teams. New players will be asked questions to SELF-RATE themselves during the registration process.
The NORTHERN LEAGUE is now a NON-ADVANCING LEAGUE. In years past the winners of each individual age flight has advanced to the Regional Play-Offs. Teams will no longer advance form our league. The Northern League will now have its own two-day NORTHERN LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIPS at seasons end for ALL the league’s players, coaches, and parents. This exciting new event will bring participants together and provide a fun, competitive, and social event to end the season!
NEW JERSEY REGIONAL ADVANCING LEAGUE
New for this season, the New Jersey Region will hold its own REGIONAL ADVANCING LEAGUE where teams will compete in a Region wide league consisting of more advanced and competitively players. Team winners their flights in this league will advance to championship play in the Regional, Sectional, and hopefully National Championships.
Please note: Captains/Coaches of teams in the NORTHERN LEAGUE will SELELCT players to participate as a team in this new League. Any players participating must also be rostered on a Northern League Non-Advancing team and may participate in BOTH the Non-Advancing and Advancing leagues, providing additional play opportunities. Regional Advancing League matches will be scheduled 1 or 2 times monthly at various neutral sites around Northern and Central New Jersey during the course of the JTT season.
PLAY IN THE ADVANCING LEAGUE STARTS IN NOVEMBER. BOB WILL CONTACT YOU COMCERNING YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THIS NEW LEAGUE!
NEW Eligibility Rules
- Players are eligible to compete in an age group up to 6 months AFTER they reach the maximum age of that age group. In years past if you were to “aged out” before August 31 you had to play in the next age up for the entire season. Because we are now a Non-Advancing League, players may finish the season in the age group they were eligible for at the start of the season (please note some players having October birthdays may “age out” and have to play in the next age group up anyway because the season runs into April which exceeds the 6-month range. See Bob if you have any questions.
- ALL PLAYERS MUST BE USTA MEMBERS. Please go to USTA.com to obtain a membership.
Teams – We will field INTERMEDIATE LEVEL teams in the following age groups:
- 12 & Under GREEN BALL
- 12 & Under YELLOW BALL
- 14 & Under YELLOW BALL
- 18 & Under YELLOW BALL
Because of limited practice and match courts at WITC we will not field a 10 Under GREEN BALL team this season. We are sorry for any inconvenience.
- 12 and 14 seasons run October to April
- 18 & Under season runs early November to early March (to accommodate high school players. players are encouraged to attend practices after JTT season matches are completed)
- League play is against teams from other area clubs and programs in Passaic, Bergen, Essex, and Morris counties.
- Match play is generally gender specific. 2 boys and 2 girls will compete in singles & doubles for each match. Because we are now in a Non-Advancing League, this season coed substituting will be allowed and results count as league matches.
- Standings will be kept to determine play-off positions in the Northern League Championships at seasons end.
Match Times (teams play 1 match per week-end)
- 12’s * 14’s………..SATURDAYS @ 5-7PM
- 18’s.………………SUNDAYS @ 3-5PM (please note the change from last season)
- Sometimes match days may be flip flopped in some age groups to accommodate scheduling conflicts.
- 4 players per team
- 6 matches: 2 BOYS singles * 2 GIRLS Singles * 1 BOYS Doubles * 1 GIRLS Doubles
- All matches consist of a 6 game pro set (no ad) with a Set Tiebreaker at 5-5 for singles and doubles
- Doubles will almost always be the first matches played.
- Most opposing facilities are no more than 30 minutes away one way depending on traffic.
- Players/Parents are encouraged to carpool.
- WE ARE LOOKING FOR PARENTS TO ACT AS CAPTAINS ON AWAY MATCHES. PLEASE CONTACT BOB BYNUM IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.
- Matches begin SAT at 5pm or SUN at 3pm
- Players are encouraged to arrive at least 15 minutes before a match.
- Players will be scheduled in 4-match blocks
- An initial 4 match schedule, with line-ups, will be distributed in advance to parents/players.
- Parents/players will confirm or decline their scheduled dates.
- If possible please notify the JTT Coordinator, in advance, of any dates you cannot play.
- A final schedule, with line-ups, will then be distributed for that 4 match period.
- Practices begin: SEPTEMBER 30
- FRIDAYS 6PM – 8PM
- Practices will be run “high school” style with an emphasis on point play, strategy, and fun!
- NO PRACTICE: Nov 25 * Dec 23 * Dec 30 * Jan 13 * Feb 17 * Apr 14
- NO MATCHES: Nov 26-27 * Dec 24-25 * Dec 31-Jan 1 * Jan 14-15 * Feb 18-19 * Apr 115-16
- Parents/players must be committed to the team in order to participate.
- Please attend when you are scheduled to play to insure a full roster for opposing teams.
- PLAYERS CANCELING AT THE LAST MINUTE OR NOT SHOWING FOR MATCHES WILL NOT BE SCHEDULED TO PLAY AND POSSIBILY DROPPED FROM THE TEAM.
- $465 – Early Bird Registration by September 30 $500 – Registration after September 30
- Team fee includes practices. All players pay the team fee and are encouraged to attend practice.
- Players pay $35 for each individual match that they play. Players will PRE-PAY every 4 matches.
- Checks are payable to: Bob Bynum’s Match Point Tennis
STEPS TO PARTICIPATE:
- EMAIL THE PLAYER PROFILE TO COORDINATOR TO HOLD YOUR PLACE!
- REGISTER ONLINE AT bbmatchpointtennis.com BEGINNING: SEPTEMBER 19
- PARENT WILL RECEIVE TEAM NUMBER TO REGISTER ONLINE AT USTA.COM
BBMPT Junior Team Tennis Coordinator
Bob Bynum firstname.lastname@example.org 973-477-3368